Beginner’s Guide to RC – Useful Tools to Have in Your Toolbox – Makita Power Tool / Team Associated Driver Bits
There are certain tools in everyone’s toolbox that help make repairs and maintenance easy. One such tool that I can’t live without oddly enough, is rarely seen in any of my buddies boxes. That would be the Makita Power Driver and a set of hex driver/socket bits.
What is a Power Driver
A Power Driver is a battery-operated hand tool that helps you install or remove screws in a matter of seconds.Typically you would need to do this by hand. That’s great, but after the first couple of screws your hand could start getting tired (especially if you’re building a kit for the first time).
There are a number of Power Drivers out there – Hitachi Hex Drive Screwdriver, Black & Decker Rechargeable Screwdriver, DEWALT 7.2-Volt Cordless Screwdriver – and they’re all great. I had a Hitachi and thought it was the greatest thing … until I got my hands on a Makita. The Makita Power Driver is the Ferrari of Power Drivers…there’s really no comparison. It has a solid feel, extremely smooth drive motor and comes in a killer, protective case. The Makita Power Driver goes with me EVERYWHERE, whether I’m working on a 1/10th scale Short Course truck or one of my 1/5 Baja’s. Some of it’s cool features include:
• Auto-Stop Clutch Delivers Exact Torque Control
• Auto-Stop Clutch: Tool shuts off when clutch disengages for extra fastening control and prevents overdriving the fastener
• Makita-built motor delivers 44 in.lbs. of Max Torque in a compact design
• 21 clutch settings and drill mode for added fastening control (fastening torque range: 2.7 in.lbs. – 27.0 in.lbs.)
• 2-speed design for high (650 RPM) or low (200 RPM) torque applications
• Built-in L.E.D. light illuminates the work area
• Convenient 1/4″ hex chuck for quick bit changes
• Operates in straight or pistol grip positions
• Soft grip handle provides increased comfort on the job
• Makita 7.2V Lithium-Ion batteries provide longer run time and lower self-discharge
Pair that up with Team Associated’s 1/4″ 5pc Power Tool Tips Set and you have yourself a go-anywhere, fix-anything combo. AE’s 5-Piece, 1/4″ Factory Team Power Tool Tips Set and 1/4″ Factory Team Nut Driver fit the Makita’s quick-change 1/4″ hex chuck perfectly. The Makita Power Driver also includes a handy plastic box that just so happens to have enough room for all the AE bits (as well as a spare battery).
When To Use
There is a simple answer to this question; Use it all the time! I’ve build and rebuilt my 1/5 Baja’s a few times (won’t even attempt to work on these without this tool!), built a few 1/10th scale rides as well as my 1/8th scale buggy. It also includes a pair of screwdriver tips that all you guys can use to do your household chores.