This page contains some detailed info on the different types of Radio Control Cars that are available. There is a form of racing for everyone including Onroad, Offroad, Oval, Dirt Oval, Monster Trucks, Motorcycles and even the larger 1/4, 1/5, and 1/6 scale!!!
As a rule of thumb, all similar types of cars (ie, 1/10th Offroad) are basically the same…it’s the individual manufacturer and their idea of what is a good design that sets the vehicles apart. For instance, Team Associated makes a shaft drive car, while Yokomo and Team Losi both make a belt drive. Each has it’s pros and cons, its the design of the belt versus shaft systems, the suspension geometries, and the general chassis layout that differs. The choice is yours, but my suggestion is to do a little research before purchasing your RC vehicle. Visit a local track and ask around. You might get 50 different opinions from 50 different people, but you’ll gather some useful information when you do step foot in the hobby store with a purchase in mind.
This chart below will give you an idea of what is available out there for you.
• Type: indicates the ‘class’ of vehicle.
• Scale: indicates what ‘size’ the vehicle is, 1/18th being small, 1/4 being quite large.
• Power: available in Electric, Nitro or Both.
• Kit/RTR: available in Kit form, RTR form or Both.
• 2WD/4WD: available in 2WD, 4WD or Both.
• Ease to Drive: how difficult it is to master rated on a scale of 1-10 (10 being REALLY hard to master).
• Ease to Maintain: maintenance this type of vehicle requires rated on a scale of 1-10 (10 being high maintenance).
Visit the RC Links Page for links to the appropriate manufacturers.
|Offroad Buggy||1/18th||Electric||Both||4WD||2 (5)||3 (6)|