We’ve got the first pix of the exciting new Tamiya CC-02 Trail Truck! This truck was built by us right out of the box – sorry, body is still being painted. As soon as we get that done, we’ll get pictures of that up as well.
After the build, we’ve got some interesting thoughts about this new rig:
• Wheelbase and width are the same as the CC-01. While some may not like this, it does allow every Tamiya CC-01 body to fit.
• Plastic chassis rails run the length of the truck, however metal ‘end pieces’ are included to complete the rails. While this is odd, I do see the possibility of longer metal end pieces to lengthen the truck – probably cheaper than molding all new chassis rails.
• 4-link front and rear design with molded links. These could be modified to help extend the wheelbase if longer rail sections are made (see above).
• Kit comes with solid front and rear axles that can be built with either an open or locked differential (neither of which are sealed, though).
• A better plastic is used throughout the truck. This makes the truck feel very solid after, with most of the screws threading into ‘retained’ 3mm nuts.
• Long, oil filled shocks are a great addition. Threaded or metal-bodied would be nice, but these will work great right out of the box.
• Steering servo can be mounted with the output shaft facing forward or facing down.
• Transmission is a 3-geared unit – solid as a rock. Spur is a standard 0.6 module Tamiya and, by the looks of it, there may be an upcoming slipper clutch in the future.
• Plastic bushings are included. Get your bearing kit up front (Tamiya #54910).
• 17mm hexes are used for the wheels, allowing upgrades to a wide variety of aftermarket wheels.
• Enclosed receiver box is nice, however it’s not waterproof.
• Includes a Mabuchi 540 motor and Tamiya’s TBLE-02S ESC. Should be good to get your CC-02 up and running for sure.
• Battery pack sits towards the back. It can fit a long or short pack, however you’ll need to figure out a way to keep a shorty in place.
• Plastic props shafts are used. Not sure how much power these will be able to handle, so I would keep to the included electronics until a upgrade set is released.
• Tires are just this side of solid rock, so don’t expect a ton of performance from them. Some softer rubber should be your first purchase.
• The articulation is pretty good for this rig. With a little tuning, I’m sure it will show some impressive flex on the rocks.
While the CC-02 isn’t geared towards the hardcore crawler/trail truck market, it is a viable option for hardcore Tamiya enthusiasts. Excited to get it out on the rocks and see what it can do!
58675 Tamiya CC-02 Trail Truck
For more information, please visit: www.tamiyausa.com
Make sure you visit and subscribe to our YouTube Channel (CompetitionX YouTube) for up to date videos on all the current products!
Notice: Some of our articles, videos and descriptions may contain affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, we may receive a small commission. This helps support the website and social media channels and allows us to continue to produce content. Thank you for the support!