When asked what your favorite racing classes are, most people will say 1/10th or 1/8th scale onroad or offroad. I know because that’s what I always say. But when someone asks what my favorite FUN racing classes are, I always tell them 1/18th or 1/5th. Extremes, right? Yah, well, there’s something about the big and littles that are just a lot of fun, both onroad and offroad. I received a new addition to my ‘littles’ collection the other day in the form of Losi’s new 8ight Mini. I’m excited to see if this ‘Mini-Me’ has what it takes to keep a smile on my face like it’s 1/8 scale cousin!
AT A GLANCE
WHO MAKES IT: Losi
WHO IT’S FOR: Everyone
HOW MUCH: $249
BUILD TYPE: RTR
– The first thing you’ll notice is the exterior styling. The current-style cab-forward body, yellow wheels and sexy wing truly make it look like a pint-sized 8ight!
– The heart of the 8ight Mini is its powerful 4500kv brushless system. This system runs smooth and fast with the included 1100mAh NiMh battery. Drop in a compatible LiPo pack and you’ve created pure speed!
– The 4WD system is flawless. Bearing supported, metal-gear differentials, driveshaft and dogbones transfer the power to the wheels with extreme efficiency. To make things easier, the inline slipper clutch is adjusted using the included tool.
– To harness the entire package, a Spektrum DSM 2.4GHz radio system has been included with the 8ight Mini. Ultimate control for your pint-sized ride.
– Losi knows you want something that is durable and easy to tune. To comply with your wishes, they’ve included both a 2.5mm aluminum chassis and 2.5mm aluminum front and rear shock towers. In addition, threaded aluminum shocks are also standard issue as is the aluminum steering drag-link and thick turnbuckles.
– To keep with the whole Mini-Me theme, Losi dropped its popular Kingpin race tires into the shrink machine. These tires have a decent wear time and should work great on multiple surfaces.
– Losi has made the 8ight Mini a true Ready To Run. Included in the box is your 8ight Mini, 2.4GHz transmitter, batteries for the transmitter and car, a wall charger and some tools. There is no need to purchase anything else to run this car…until, of course, it’s upgrade time!
Losi, www.losi.com, (877) 504-0233
To read the entire review including the performance section, be sure to pick up the February 2012 issue of RC Driver Magazine!