WORDS: Tony Phalen
PHOTOS: Tony Phalen
Losi shocked the world with the announcement of their biggest project yet, the 5IVE-T. This 4WD, 1/5th scale gas-powered beast was designed from the ground up and has quickly become the talk of the industry. With no real competition in the 4WD segment, will this be the next ‘big’ thing in RC? After my exclusive test drive and photo session, I am confident that Losi has hit the nail on the head with this project. Put your 2WD’s away boys and girls, Losi is in town, and they brought a monster of a 4WD with them!
AT A GLANCE
WHO MAKES IT: Losi
WHO IT’S FOR: Everyone
HOW MUCH: $1,599
BUILD TYPE: Almost RTR (BND)
- At first glance, you’ll notice the 5IVE-T’s low, wide stance. Compared to other 1/5th scale vehicles, it is just that. This stance really helps the Losi get around the track with a blistering pace. The multi-piece body is attached to the inner roll cage to form a super strong cocoon. This not only protects the 5IVE-T’s innards, but also helps reinforce the chassis to create an extremely rigid truck.
- A 5mm, CNC-lightened aluminum chassis is the base for the 5IVE-T’s platform. Everything bolts to it using as few screws as possible. In fact, the front and rear ends can be removed in a matter of seconds to perform any maintenance you need.
- Losi has designed the 5IVE-T’s drivetrain after their very successful 8ight series. The offset rear drivetrain helps center the monster 26cc motor for the best weight distribution possible. Heavy duty axles are used throughout to transfer the power efficiently to all four wheels.
- The big-bore shocks are some of the largest I’ve ever seen on a 4WD vehicle. They feature enormous 7mm shafts that are designed to withstand quite a bit of abuse. The high-volume threaded bodies and aluminum adjusters allow you to easily fine tune the 5IVE=T’s ride height.
- One of the coolest features is the clutch mount housing. This finned aluminum mount mounts to the engine and completely seals the clutch unit. This not only keeps debris out of your clutch, but also helps dissipate any heat that the 8000 rpm clutch creates. Oversized bearings are also included to deal with the heavier loads the 4WD system places on the clutch.
- As you might expect, a large, weighty 4WD vehicle puts a lot of stress on the geartrain. Not to fear! Losi has included a complete set of precision cut, heat treated steel gears throughout the 5IVE-T’s geartrain. I was witness to some pretty abusive driving (not mine, of course), and can vouch that they can take a beating!
- The 5IVE-T comes loaded with Losi’s 2-stroke 26cc gas engine. This is the same engine seen in other 1/5th scale vehicles, so it’s a proven powerful unit. On one end, Losi has included a low-profile, two-stage air filter to keep the carburetor debris free. On the other, a high-volume can muffler takes care of the exhaust duties.
- While we are on the subject of the engine, check out this killer feature! When it comes time to change the 5IVE-T’s gearing, Losi has taken all of the guesswork out of setting gear mesh. They’ve included a set of machined oval inserts that match up to cutouts in the chassis. These inserts are numbered and allow you to properly locate the engine for a perfect gear mesh! Awesome idea guys!
- To keep the tires firmly mounted, Losi wrapped the soft-compound kicks around a great looking set of beadlock wheels. These beadlocks secure the inner and outer lip of the tire and work extremely well. You should also get quite a bit of life out of theses tires too. We ran them pretty hard all weekend and they still had a ton of tread left.
- Losi has included a Spektrum 2.4GHZ DSM receiver with the 5IVE-T. The 5IVE-T comes pre-wired with Spektrum’s telemetry setup and has sensors that let you keep track of engine temperature, speed and receiver pack voltage. If you already have a Spektrum DSM transmitter, you’re in luck! Just bind it to the 5IVE-T and all of this vital info will be transmitted right to your hand. If you don’t have a DSM unit, you should get one! Keeping track of your trucks condition by itself is worth the purchase of one!
Losi, www.losi.com, (877) 504-0233
To read the entire review including the performance section, be sure to pick up the December issue of RC Driver Magazine!December 2011 issue of RC Driver Magazine!